Oracle, a multinational computer technology corporation headquartered in America, makes database management systems to create and manage databases easily. It is known as RDBMS or relational database management system, which is necessary for collecting and organizing data according to relationships. Oracle itself and many other companies provide Oracle license management service, which is instrumental in managing Oracle software licenses. These software downloads are free of cost and come with a Developer License. To use full versions of the products, the Developer License is mandatory.
- Some of the Oracle Software are:
- Oracle NoSQL Database
- Oracle Multitenant
- Oracle Real Application Clusters
- Oracle Partitioning
- Oracle Advanced Compression
- Oracle OLAP
- Oracle Machine Learning
- Spatial and Graph
- Database Lifecycle Management Pack
- Oracle Enterprise Manager Control
- What is Oracle License Management?
To make the most use of Oracle software, one needs to adhere to Oracle’s licensing policy. Oracle licensing management provides an established authority on the licensing policy of Oracle. Offering the global users an open, transparent, and definitive assessment of their compliance position is the purpose of this specific service. As a result, the customers can measure their actual uses of the resources based on their contractual entitlements. In other words, Oracle makes sure that the resources are brought into action properly, and they save themselves from the operational and financial risks associated.
- Oracle Licensing and Customer Relationship:
The Oracle team claims to provide a customer-first approach in their licensing management services. Delivering the best-practice audit experiences to the customers is what they prioritize upon. To make it happen, they are trying to develop more reliable terms with the partner organizations. In this regard, they also ensure to provide an efficient audit process through their equipment. The main motto of this service is to secure a stronger position for the partner organizations in the future. Helping the customers strengthen their internal controls is what this service strives to achieve.
The customer support team uses a three-step process to engage the client companies for a software audit. The entire process seeks to understand customer experience to promote more proactive SAM capabilities.
- Initiate: The tracking of the record is the primary step, where Oracle uses a host of data collection tools to analyze the deployment of resources by the customer.
- Investigate: The second step is a research of the many reasons for the deployment of resources. The main motto is to assess the controls and the intention of the customers.
- Inform: The third step includes the creation of a factual report. It includes the findings of the analysis. It also includes the details of issues with SAM controls.
- The Need for Oracle License Management Service:
Organizations have to abide by multiple licensing terms and conditions associated with database management. Therefore, keeping an accurate, up-to-date view of usage is not always easy. Moreover, in the post-pandemic era, IT companies are switching to work from home culture, which is making management even more cumbersome.
As the organizational structures are changing effectively, it’s crucial to strengthen the database management system. Minor aspects such as wrong end-user behavior or a misinterpretation of contractual entitlements can lead to noncompliance with the Oracle software. To eliminate these hassles, the license management service from Oracle is a mandate for companies.
- The Important Tools to Evaluate the Service:
To help the organizations evaluate Oracle’s services and products, some important tools that Oracle provides are:
- Standalone Scripts: It helps the users to extract data in a simple and non-intrusive way. It comes with a bunch of product-specific measurement options.
- Oracle LMS Collection Tool: As the name suggests, the main purpose of this tool is to detect and collect usage data.
- Oracle Server Worksheet: It includes every detail of the Oracle products installed in a company. It helps the users to know the names of the ones they have installed.
- Oracle Enterprise Manager: This one comes with most of the licensed Oracle technology products. It ensures measurement capabilities in these products.
Just as their customer relationship strategy, they have a three-step approach to develop tools.
Firstly, they only develop in-house tools. These tools can identify the locations of the products being deployed and used. Secondly, usage and installation information is essential for the company. Therefore, they are constantly expanding the capabilities of their technology. Thirdly, to track usage data of their products, they also work with third-party tool vendors.
- Benefits of Oracle LMS:
There are multiple benefits of Oracle license management service. These include compliance, knowledge transfer, license optimization, contract optimization, remediation, advisory, and negotiation.
Having an accurate understanding of all the clients’ license positions is ensured by this service. Advisory on compliance issues is one of the notable benefits. Also, identifying cost-effective ways to rebalance licenses is possible with the help of this service.
- Change to On-Premise Term Licenses:
From September 1, 2020, onwards, Oracle has refrained from offering on-premise term licenses, which had 1-5 year terms. By noticing a trend of the on-premise customers moving toward perpetual licenses, they have taken the decision, as they claim. However, the key Oracle Technology products will be an exception as Oracle has retained them a 1-year term license. Also, the existing customers refrain from this decision till the end of their term.
Some of the products that continue to retain the license for 1-year are:
- Exadata Storage Server Software
- Oracle Active Data Guard
- Oracle Advanced Compression
- Oracle Advanced Security
- racle Database Enterprise Edition
- Oracle Database In-Memory
- Oracle Database Standard Edition 2 and more
Now that the companies have moved more to the cloud, it has been crucial to track and manage the entire performance of the organizations through accurate platforms. Creating accurate audit reports can help organizations to grow and expand. Working with licensed database software solves only one part of the problem as the other responsibilities like compliance management may go unnoticed. To avoid non-compliance and other issues related to Oracle products and licenses, the Oracle license management service is supposed to be beneficial for the users. Companies that have opted for this service have seen massive growth in their overall organizational performance.